Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Post #1: Aristotle

Explain Aristotle’s theory of ethics as presented in the websites.
Aristotle’s theory of ethics sets out to discover what entails a life that is worth living and what one must do to attain such a life. His search for the “the good” leads him to declare that one who pursues “the highest good” should do so because “it is desirable for itself, it is not desirable for the sake of some other good, and all other goods are desirable for its sake.” Aristotle thinks the aim of all of humanity is happiness. Aristotle continues that one must apply reason coupled with virtuous acts to live well, to reach the aim of happiness. Also, one need be fortunate to be well rounded in other aspects of his/her life to include friends, family, opportunity, and so forth.

Aristotle thinks that one must have some exposure of virtuous behavior during childhood; Aristotle stresses the importance of a good and proper upbringing. This early exposure of virtue presupposes that one will display “good habits” at some stage in their life. Also, Aristotle assumes that this prior knowledge of virtue will generate a love for virtuous activity and virtuous activity will serve “as the goal for the sake of which lesser goods are to be pursued.”

According to Aristotle, there are two kinds of virtue: intellectual and ethical. Virtues of the intellect are those that pertain to the mind and are engaged in reason. Aristotle continues that there are two kinds of intellectual virtue: theoretical and practical. On the other hand, “virtues of character” are those that cannot engage in reason but follow reason. Aristotle continues that “ethical virtue is fully developed only when it is combined with practical wisdom.” The incorporation of practical wisdom into ethical virtue brings the prior knowledge of virtue exposed as a youth to fruition as a man of the world.

Aristotle continues by describing man possessing three very different kinds of deficiencies: the “continent” man, the “incontinent” man, and the evil man. The “continent” man is a better than average man of reason and does as a man of virtue does but only after some deliberation. The “incontinent” man is a below average man of reason, controlled by his passions, and does not do as a man of virtue does. Finally, the evil man could not be bothered to exhibit ethical behavior, let alone incorporate practical wisdom.

Again, to offset any of the aforesaid, Aristotle posits that a good and proper childhood will predispose one towards happiness due to the development of “good habits” and virtuous activity. Once practical wisdom is incorporated into everyday dealings, one is able to distinguish between “excess and deficiency.” That distinction is known as The Doctrine of the Mean. Aristotle posits that the mean is a way to find the middle ground between excess and vice in all situations when all things are considered.

What is his view on happiness and its relationship on ethics?
Aristotle thinks that happiness is an act of self-suffiency; it’s a choice that is always made with one’s own benefit in mind. He states that “we always choose for self and never for the sake of something else.” In regards to happiness and it relationship on ethics, Aristotle thinks that the virtuous activity one choose to engage in is no more than a means to an end and that end is happiness. Therefore, if one chooses happiness as the end in itself, then one must live in a constant state of virtuous activity.

Finally, what makes you happy in this life and what do you think Aristotle would say about that?
What makes me happy? Good question and one I haven’t thought of in quite some time. Then why is that? I’m not sure. I wake each morning grateful that I made it through the night and have a chance at a new day. I work two jobs and go to school, both of which I feel fortunate to have and do. I have my health. I have the love of a good man. All my family is still alive. I have surrounded myself with good friends. The truth is I don’t think about what makes me happy because I am happy. I live day to day. I understand that some days will be better than others and that most things are out of my control. The things I can control, I deal with when need be. All I do is try to be the best I can be and try to make sure I make no transgressions on others.

Aristotle would probably think that my life is consumed by excess and deficiency and not enough virtuous activity. He would probably tell me that I am a little to engross with my boyfriend. He would probably tell me that I’m overworking myself with the two jobs and maybe I should quit one. He would probably tell me that I don’t spend enough time with my family and it is important that I reestablish bonds with all parties involved. And maybe he would tell me that I don’t spend enough time with my friends and that I should start reconnecting with them on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment